Hello friends! Happy New Year! 2020 will be wild, I’m sure of that. But don’t worry, we can weather it together 🤗☔💃
This year I’m going to focus on one big creative project. Playful, experimental, and flexible, but still pretty ambitious! (No, not a book. Not yet.)
I was all over the place in 2019, which was difficult but ultimately valuable. It was a liminal year. A year of dense mist, determined meandering but undetermined path… I was full of trepidation, feeling for the tree roots with my feet.
Now I’ve come to a meadow, and it’s alive with translucent sunshine. I find the ground cleared and plowed, bare soil warming in the light. My hands overflow with seeds. My limbs pulse with the rhythm of planting.
Yeah, yeah, get over yourself Sonya. Upshot of the metaphor: I’m going to publish 12 zines in 2020!
Hopefully more after that, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
Each zine will focus on a theme relevant to humaning — you know, the Homo sapiens lifestyle that gives us all so much trouble. We keep on keepin’ on, because Gnon didn’t get us here without an innate survival drive, and because the world is bountiful in whimsy, wonder, and joy. Despite its general shittiness! Isn’t that the damnedest thing? Personally I can’t stop thinking about it.
First three themes:
- January: Guts(y) — where intuition meets action; on confidence and agency and risk and playing the damn game for all it’s worth, playing by the real rules not the written ones
- February: Smoochtown — think Beetlejuice on Valentine’s Day 😘😏 the titillation of schlock, sentiment and absurdity, cheese! sleaze! all that good stuff!
- March: Clandestine Motives — joy in secret and the joy of secrets; hidden sanctuary and the horror of its exposure; cards held close to the chest for reasons that are nobody else’s business, but here take a peek anyway 👀
A few additional notes:
- Free shipping! However…
- US only (for now!) because international shipping is truly a bitch and a half, I’m sorry 😞
- Subscribers will receive a high-res PDF of every manuscript, provided when the next zine goes out in the mail.
Guts(y) and Smoochtown will be mailed together near the end of January or beginning of February. Afterward you can expect one zine per month.
Clandestine Motives will be available as a standalone product (for more than $13.50), with net proceeds to be donated to Open Privacy and Mother Trust Org. The majority of zines will be ~*~eXcLuSiVe~*~ to the subscription but I reserve the right to sell them separately if I have a reason.
Okay, I think that’s everything! I hope y'all are excited, because I am beyond excited and brimming with ideas. I haven’t told anyone else yet besides my fiancé, so I am 1) elated 2) nervous to send this newsletter!
If you have any questions, reply to this email and I’ll get back to you. I promise to keep an eye on my inbox.
Lastly, and unrelatedly, yesterday I finished the “Why Cryptocurrency Matters”
blog post that I mentioned several months ago. Doing so cemented my preexisting feeling that I’ve said just about everything I have to say on the topic of cypherpunk.
What’s next? See above: ZINES, baby, zines!
Happy New Year again! As always, my heartfelt thanks for your time and attention! Byyyye!!